Sunday, September 22, 2013

A (Fig) Tree Grows In Westport





According to wikipedia,  Buddha achieved enlightenment under the Bodhi Tree, a large and old sacred fig tree. Why am I telling you this, you ask? Because my friend Rachel has her own fig tree
 right here in Westport and after tasting them I think I have become very enlightened! 

Rachel's fig tree looks like a giant wild bush with big soft leaves and bendy branches. Most of today's figs were hidden towards the top and center of the tree so we really had to bend 
and stretch to claim our prize. It was definitely worth the effort. 
Figs are my husband's favorite fruit.
 Unfortunately for him, I ate all our pickings before I got home!


Not the most photogenic tree around but from this shot you can tell it was a jungle in there!






Rachel reaching for gold!



Mission accomplished!




Here a link to a great article about figs from The New York Times. It has a couple of 
yummy recipes for fresh figs at the bottom.


No comments: