Friday, October 21, 2011

Bird Flu?








There is a strange phenomenon going on where I live in Westport, CT. It seems everyone in town wants to be a chicken farmer. Doctors, Wall Street guys, real estate agents, yada yada yada, all seem to have sprung chicken coops in their backyards over night. Westport is an upscale surburban community about an hour from Manhattan. Here you would expect the members of the community to exercise too much, travel the globe and get overly involved in their kids sports. This all may be true but Westport can also be a real small town where people get involved in local causes, care about their neighbors, the environment and appreciate the basics. I believe Westporters want to make the world a better place and start right here at home. Now I am not sure what raising chickens has to do with all this but I love receiving fresh eggs from all my friends and taking pics of all the new chicks in town!












5 comments:

Elizabeth Beller said...

Hey Katherine! Love your blog and your pics from this post. Keep up the great work. You really capture the spirit of this engaging hobby.

Kind regards,

Elizabeth Beller

hoopermom said...

thx so much for reading. glad someone is besides my mom! i think i was at your house a few weeks ago for the wtf fundraiser. your sweet kids showed me all around your chicken coop.

Anonymous said...

This free-ranging chicken lover congratulates you on the blog.

hoopermom said...

thanks. loving the attention. dan woog is the man!

Elizabeth Beller said...

You were at my house for the Wakeman Town Farm fundraiser! Yes! I remember you now... small world. My daughter and I are planning to organize a Westport/Weston Chicken Coop tour this upcoming spring as a fundraiser for the farm. Would love to have your input/help. Let me know! And check out my blog too: Simplychicks.blogspot.com

Cheers!

Liz B